The world famous Florentine master wood carver Chevalier Rinaldo Barbetti was commissioned by Leopold de Rothschild in 1878 to create the magnificent library and staircase that are the building's highlights.
The brief was to create a lighting scheme that is sympathetic to the materials within the space whilst maintaining an overall feel of luxury and glamour befitting a building of this historical importance.
Carefully concealed lighting uplights the magnificently carved timber panels, lifting the general impression of the space. Discrete fibre optic lights highlight the ornate carvings within the fireplace surround. Delicate sheers are back-lit, causing them to shimmer and create lit window recesses at night.